Saturday, December 29, 2012

Schenley Park and the Porch at Schenley


This is very delayed, but better late than never, right? 
The view of Pittsburgh from Schenley Oval
Burn:  Schenley Park
I think the first thing that needs to be addressed is Plan Your Run!  Lindsay and I did a four miler, and I thought I had a good idea of where we were going.  That was not the case.  We did four miles of lost.  Also, LOTS OF HILLS!  I guess I need to surrender to the idea that I'm not living in Florida anymore.  The plus side, it's good for your butt.  I think we will try it again and run the Panther Hollow trail next time. 
The second thing that needs to be mentioned is the view from the Oval.  Wow!  I grew up going to ice skate there, and I don't remember the city looking so beautiful or the awesome view of the Cathedral.  It's a good place to end a long run.  It makes a nice reward.

Brunch:  The Porch at Schenley

Southern Tier's 2Xmas


The Porch is located across from Hillman library and the Pitt student union.  My favorite part of breakfast was our appetizer of farm bread.  OMG...This bread is amazing!  Plus, it comes with homemade jam, apple butter and honey butter.  You can also buy a loaf to go.  Which, of course, I left with.
For our main courses, Lindsay had the Farm Bread Breakfast Sandwich and I had the daily fritatta.  She complained.  The bacon was not crispy enough and the egg was over easy.  Personally, I wouldn't care.  I guess if you want this sandwich, specify how you like your egg and bacon cooked.  I enjoyed my fritatta.  It was a bacon, arugula and crab fritatta.  The fritatta and quiche change daily.  Both of the dishes came with a side of home-style potatoes and a curry ketchup.  The ketchup was weird.  I've done curry mayo before, but adding it to ketchup did not please my palate.  I opted for the plain old Heinz. 
The Porch has great beer and great cocktails.  Lindsay and I had to stay for a pint because I wanted to try Southern Tier's 2XMAS that they had on tap.  Also, a lot of their cocktails are made with Wigle Whiskey, Pittsburgh's own whiskey distillery.  (Wigle is on Smallman St. and they have tours.  It's a must!)




 
Porch gets two thumbs up from me.  Lindsay was a little disappointed, but enjoyed it enough to give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment